Is a Single Digits hotspot secure?
We take security very seriously at Single Digits. The reality, though, is that a public wireless hotspot (or any connection to the Internet for that matter) can never be 100% secure with the existing technology available and, at the same time, provide the type of seamless Internet connectivity that our One Plan members enjoy. We do, however, provide the following measures of security in order to minimize the exposure our customers may have to unauthorized eavesdropping and tampering when using our services:
- Single Digits provides secure, encrypted transactions when registering for or when signing on to our service via HTTPS (SSL).
- Our service minimizes a local security threat by preventing local wireless users from attacking or eavesdropping on other local wireless users (Peer-to-Peer attacks).
- Our service provides firewall protection from the Internet itself at every Single Digits hotspot location. This shields our users from many types of attacks that could originate from outside sources.
- In addition to the above levels of security Single Digits provides it users automatically, we also recommend our users further protect themselves by doing the following:
- Use Virtual Private Networking (VPNs) when interacting with any sensitive material.
- Obtain a personal firewall software package. There are many different vendors to choose from. A few of the more popular ones are: Norton Internet Security, ISS Black ICE, Sygate Personal Firewall, Zone Labs ZoneAlarm.